Casino Kings analysed the world’s highest grossing media franchises that started out as cartoons, films, comic books, video games and other forms of media to find out how they make their money. Scroll down to find out which revenue streams generate the most money for these famous franchises.
Stand Out Stats
- Minecraft has made most of its money through selling merchandise, totalling $3.6bn, rather than from video games.
- Unlike other franchises that were originally animated films, the majority of The Lion King’s revenue comes from musical theatre.
- Popular TV show Friends brought in $3.5bn through TV syndication to networks around the world, more than any other television series by far.
- Due to the fanbase surrounding Lord Of The Rings, despite its box office success the franchise still made more money through book sales.
- Films generally make most of their money through the box office with the exception of Star Wars, which makes more money through selling merchandise.
Animated Cartoons – How They Make Their Money
Animated Films – How They Make Their Money
Animated Series – How They Make Their Money
Books – How They Make Their Money
Comic Books – How They Make Their Money
Films – How They Make Their Money
Novels – How They Make Their Money
Television Series – How They Make Their Money
Video Games – How They Make Their Money